“This is a very moist cornbread that almost melts in your mouth!”
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 9 x 13 pan
1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
1 (8 ounces) package cream cheese, room temperature
1 stick butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups cornmeal
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoons salt
1 can corn, drained
4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350° F (176° C).
- Spray a 9×13 dish with cooking oil and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the cream cheese, butter and starter. Beat until fairly smooth.
- Beat in eggs until combined.
- Stir in cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until just combined.
- Stir in corn and mix until well combined.
- Spread into prepared dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and allow to cool for ten to fifteen minutes before serving. Cheese will melt while the cornbread cools.
From Veronica Miller : “Add in 4 ounces of shredded sharp cheddar cheese into the batter, too.”
L to R: (c) Veronica Miller | Veronica’s Cornucopia