Submitted by: Friendship Bread Kitchen
Image (c) Friendship Bread Kitchen
“Whole wheat flour and bran make this fiber-rich and the orange zest adds a tangy zing!”
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 2 loaves
1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
2/3 cup flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup wheat bran
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1 apple, peeled, cored and diced
grated rind of 3 oranges
2/3 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 325° F (165° C).
- In large bowl combine dry ingredients except walnuts.
- In another bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and blend. Stir in
apples, orange rind and starter.
- Add dry ingredients to wet mixture and combine. Add walnuts and
- Grease two large loaf pans.
- Dust the greased pans with a mixture of 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Pour the batter evenly into loaf or cake pans and sprinkle the remaining sugar-cinnamon mixture on the top.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the bread loosens evenly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.