“The simple addition of fresh apple chunks and raisins makes this a wonderful treat.”
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Yield: 2 loaves
Recipe at a Glance
- add one cup raisins
- add one cup diced apple
1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
1 cup oil
1/2 cup milk
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
1-2 small boxes vanilla instant pudding
1 cup nuts, chopped
1 cup raisins
1 cup apple, skinned, cored and diced
- Preheat oven to 325° F (165° C).
- In a large mixing bowl, add ingredients as listed.
- Grease two large loaf pans.
- Dust the greased pans with sugar-cinnamon mixture (see below).
- Pour the batter evenly into loaf or cake pans and sprinkle the remaining sugar-cinnamon mixture on the top.
- Bake for one hour or until the bread loosens evenly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
This is a great recipe to use the stray apple sitting around in the fruit drawer. Doubling up on the cinnamon gives it an extra kick.
From Saskia Baur: “Sift the dry ingredients together to prevent lumps in the batter, and use 1 1/2 cups of nuts to help with the moisture from the apples. I also baked my loaves for 45 minutes instead of the recommended 60. The loaves were still beautifully moist after seven days — all my family and friends who tasted it, loved it.”