Submitted by Friendship Bread Kitchen
“There’s nothing better than a moist chocolate (Amish Friendship Bread) brownie and a big glass of milk!”
At a Glance
- omit cinnamon
- add 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- substitute chocolate instant pudding for vanilla
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Yield: 1 – 9 x 13 inch pan
1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
1 cup oil
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
1/4 cup of cocoa
1 small box chocolate instant pudding
1 cup nuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325° F (165° C)
- In a large mixing bowl, add ingredients as listed.
- Grease one 9 x 13 inch cake pan.
- Dust the greased pan with 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Pour the batter evenly into cake pan and sprinkle with another 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake for one hour or until the brownies loosens evenly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out almost clean.
This recipe can have a chocolate kick with the addition of a cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips. These can be stirred into the batter or sprinkled on top of the brownies before baking.
From Emily Joseph: ” I used Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa for the brownies. Can be kinda hard to find, but well worth it if you do. I made it in a mini-Bundt cake pan – bakes in about 25-30 min. Topped with Baileys Vanilla Cinnamon glaze. Heavenly!”
From Nancy L. Hubbard: “With homemade chocolate frosting…unreal ~~~~ epic!”