“This Amish Friendship Bread variation is very moist with plenty of banana and caramel flavor.”
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Yield: 2 loaves
1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
1 1/2 cups caramel glaze, room temperature
1 1/3 cups mashed banana (3 medium)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325° F (165° C).
- In a large mixing bowl, add starter and beat in the caramel sauce, banana, eggs, and vanilla.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; stir until blended.
- Butter two loaf pans.
- Dust the greased pans with a mixture of 1/4 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon cinnamon. Shake excess out onto a sheet of wax paper, or a large dish, and reserve extra for topping.
- Pour the batter evenly into loaf pans and sprinkle the remaining sugar cinnamon mixture on the top.
- Bake for one hour or until the bread loosens evenly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
From Veronica: “Overripe bananas work best in this recipe.”
L to R: Veronica Miller | Veronica’s Cornucopia