“Beautiful and tasty! Serve this bread alongside a hot bowl of soup.”
Prep Time: 3 hours
Cook Time: 1 hours
Yield: 1 loaf
1 1/2 cups Amish Friendship Bread Starter
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups of white flour
3/4 teaspoon of salt
1 cup chopped cheese of your choice
- Using a stand mixer and dough hook, combine starter, flour and salt.
- Mix until dough forms into a ball and pulls away from the sides.
- Add in cheese and mix.
- Place dough into an oiled bowl, cover and let rise for 1-2 hours until double in size.
- Place dough on floured surface and knead to remove air bubbles.
- Form dough into a tight ball.
- Place ball on baking peel that has been dusted with cornmeal.
- Cover and rest dough for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven 400° F (204° C).
- Dust a heavy baking pan with cornmeal.
- Bake dough for 1 hour or until crust is brown.
- Allow to cool.
Swiss cheese added a nice flavor to the bread but it had a strange texture. Cheddar worked great.
From Denise Ercole: “Reduce white flour by half to help retain moisture. About 10 minutes before removing the loaf from the oven, coat the whole thing with butter. Next time I’ll try adding in a sharp, coarsely shredded cheddar cheese to counter the naturally sweet taste of the Amish Friendship Bread.”
L to R: Denise Ercole