“The perfect pairing: cherries and almonds!”
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Yield: 2 loaves
1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup oil
1 small box instant vanilla pudding
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup pitted whole or halved fresh cherries
- Preheat oven to 325° F (165° C).
- In a large mixing bowl, add ingredients as listed except for cherries.
- Grease two large loaf pans.
- Dust the greased pans with 1/2 teaspoon of sugar and sprinkle a few sliced almonds.
- Toss cherries in flour then incorporate gently into batter.
- Pour the batter evenly into loaf or cake pans and top off with more sliced almonds.
- Bake for one hour or until the bread loosens evenly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
From Kathy Opel: “I used 1 can cherry pie filling instead of fresh cherries. For muffins, spray the paper cups with a little cooking spray. Bake muffins for about 25 minutes.”