Submitted by: Wai Chan
“Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Amish Friendship Bread cookies–pass the milk, please!”
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10-13 minutes
Yield: 40-50 cookies
1 cup Amish Friendship Bread starter
1 tablespoon molasses
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups oatmeal
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, use a wooden spoon to mix together the starter, eggs, molasses and vanilla.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a hand-held mixer to cream the butter and sugar until the mixture becomes light and fluffy. Add in the ingredients of the medium mixing bowl and mix well.
- Combine the flour, salt, and oatmeal, and add to the cookie batter. Mix thoroughly.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the batter and mix until just combined.
- Drop generous tablespoons of the cookie dough onto a lined cookie sheet. Press the tops of the dough to flatten slightly.
- Bake in the middle rack at for 10-13 minutes. Cool on wire rack.