“A mid-afternoon pick-me-up that will energize you for the rest of the day!”
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Yield: 2 loaves
1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
1 cup oil
1/2 cup milk
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup instant coffee granules, dissolved in 1/4 cup boiling water
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
1 small box instant vanilla pudding
1 small box instant butterscotch pudding
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Vanilla Caramel Frosting
1 cup chocolate toffee bits or candies, chopped
- Preheat oven to 325° F (165° C).
- In a large mixing bowl, add ingredients as listed.
- Grease two large loaf or cake pans.
- Dust the greased pans with sugar.
- Pour the batter evenly into pans.
- Bake for one hour or until the bread loosens evenly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
- When cool, spread vanilla caramel frosting and top with toffee bits.
From Paula Altenbach (Colorado Springs, CO): “This is the second batch of Coffee Toffee Friendship Bread. After the first test came out of the oven, I decided to add an additional 1/2 cup of flour to compensate for my Colorado Springs Altitude. After using up my butterscotch and vanilla pudding, I turned to the same flavors in sugar-free version as that was what the pantry coughed up. I also prefer to use a a strip of parchment paper to act as a lift for my loaves. It was best to do what I know to works best, and I am glad I did. This loaf was high and had visual appeal.”