Fix it and forget about it! This Amish Friendship Bread recipe uses a slow cooker instead of an oven.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 3-5 hours
Yield: 1 crock pot cake
1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
1 cup oil
1/2 cup milk
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
1-2 small boxes instant pudding (any flavor)
1 cup nuts, chopped (optional)
1 cup raisins (optional)
- If you have removable cooking stoneware, remove the stoneware. Preheat the crock pot on high for about 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, add ingredients as listed.
- Grease the stoneware.
- Dust the greased stoneware with a mixture of 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Pour the batter evenly into stoneware and sprinkle the remaining sugar-cinnamon mixture on the top.
- Place a dishtowel between the stoneware and the lid to help eliminate any condensation dripping onto the batter.
- Bake on high for 3-5 hours (depending on the size of your Crock Pot) until the bread loosens evenly from the sides and a wooden skewer inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
This isn’t our favorite method of Amish Friendship Bread preparation because the edges may burn a bit on the larger slow cookers, but it’s certainly easy. If your stoneware isn’t removable, line the slow cooker with foil so all you need to do is lift the bread out when it is done. If you have a lot of add-ins like nuts, raisins or chocolate chips, toss the add-ins with flour before adding to the batter. Larger slow cookers (6.5 quarts) may take longer and the edges could burn before the center is fully cooked. If you notice the edges are pulling away nicely but the center still looks uncooked, remove the lid and keep an eye on the bread every 15-20 minutes (if you notice that the top of your bread is moist, you can save the sugar-cinnamon topping until this stage). Alternatively, you can use a liner or a smaller-sized slow cooker.
From Patti Tanner: “Save a small (6 oz) juice can, remove both ends, wash & grease. Set it in the middle of the crock before putting the batter around it. This should help it to “bake” more evenly-we do this when making breads in our Dutch ovens while camping.”
From Shari: “I added in to mashed bananas to the recipe for a new tasty variation. My recipe only took 2 hours to cook.”
L to R: (c) Friendship Bread Kitchen; (c) Friendship Bread Kitchen; (c) Friendship Bread Kitchen; (c) Friendship Bread Kitchen; (c) Friendship Bread Kitchen; Banana Bread (c) Shari