“Bold and smoky hazelnuts give this Amish Friendship Bread variation a healthful, sophisticated flavor boost.”
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Yield: 2 loaves
1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
1 cup oil
1/2 cup milk
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon hazelnut extract
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
1-2 small boxes instant pudding (any flavor)
1 cup hazelnuts, chopped and toasted
1/2 cup hazelnuts, chopped and untoasted to top
- Preheat oven to 325° F (165° C).
- In a large mixing bowl, add ingredients as listed except for untoasted hazelnuts.
- Grease two large loaf pans.
- Dust the greased pans with a mixture of 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Reserve and remaining cinnamon-sugar.
- Pour the batter evenly into loaf or cake pans and sprinkle the top with untoasted hazelnuts and cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for one hour or until the bread loosens evenly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
From Diane Siniscalchi: “I sprinkled the tops of the loaves with untested hazelnuts and cinnamon sugar. I was afraid that if I toasted the hazelnuts, that they might burn during baking. The nuts browned nicely.”