One of my favorite things about this recipe is that it not only looks healthy, but it tastes amazing. Fresh apples, raisins, carrots, coconut and walnuts make this hearty Amish Friendship Bread recipe the perfect grab-and-go morning treat.
This Amish Friendship Bread variation does well as muffins, mini loaves and mini Bundt cakes. Dust them with powdered sugar and you’re good to go. For this round we ended up with two mini loaves and four mini Bundt cakes. We kept a mini loaf for us and gave away the other mini loaf to a neighbor. We kept one mini Bundt cake for us, gave one to some vacation rental guests who were staying the night, and the last two to our oldest son’s best friend’s family. In other words, we got a lot of mileage out of this recipe, with just enough left over for us.
Here’s a cross-section of the mini-Bundt cakes. We’ve eaten up our share, but just looking at this picture makes me want to whip up another batch. Enjoy!
- 1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup oil
- ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups carrots, shredded (about 2 medium carrots)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups flour
- 1 small box vanilla instant pudding
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- ½ cup raisins
- 1 cup apple, cored and chopped
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut, shredded
- Preheat oven to 325° F (165° C).
- In a medium bowl, whisk starter, eggs, oil, applesauce, carrots, sugar and vanilla.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Toss raisins, walnuts, apples and coconut in the flour mixture and make a well in the center
- Stir in starter mixture until just incorporated.
- Grease muffin tins or line with paper muffin liners.
- If desired, dust the greased muffin tins with a cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Pour the batter evenly into loaf or cake pans and sprinkle the remaining sugar-cinnamon mixture on the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the tops are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.