Submitted by: Friendship Bread Kitchen
Image (c) Michelle Lee | Supermom Cooks
“Simply adding coconut and chocolate chips to the classic loaf magically transforms Amish Friendship Bread into the classic candy bar!”
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Yield: 2 loaves
Recipe at a Glance
- omit cinnamon
- increase milk to 1 cup
- substitute chocolate pudding for vanilla
- add 1 cup flaked coconut, sweetened
- add 1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
1 cup oil
1 cup milk
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
1-2 small boxes chocolate instant pudding
1 cup flaked coconut, sweetened
1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325° F (165° C).
- In a large mixing bowl, add ingredients as listed.
- Grease two large loaf pans.
- Dust the greased pans with granulated sugar.
- Pour the batter evenly into loaf or cake pans.
- Bake for one hour or until the bread loosens evenly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
For an extra rich chocolate flavor, add 1/2 cup cocoa powder.
From Michelle Lee: “Turn this into Super Mounds bread by adding in 1 teaspoon almond flavoring, 1 1/2 cups unsweetened shaven coconut and 2 boxes of instant coconut pudding instead of chocolate pudding. Once bread cools, add on a layer of Chocolate Icing then almonds and another layer of frosting. Top with more almonds.”
From Jeanmarie: “For another variation add coconut pudding instead of chocolate, 1/2 teaspoon of coconut flavoring instead of vanilla and add mini chocolate chips to the batter.”