Recipe and image courtesy Kitchen Friend Wai Chan.
Oatmeal Cranberry Amish Friendship Bread Cookies
Friendship Bread Kitchen: Wait Chan + Friendship Bread Kitchen
Yields: 40 cookies
Just try to keep your hand out of the cookie jar ... these chewy oatmeal cranberry Amish Friendship Bread cookies won't last long.
- 1 cup Amish Friendship Bread starter
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups oatmeal
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup cranberries (or raisins/Craisins)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375° F (190° C).
- In a medium mixing bowl, use a wooden spoon to mix together the starter, eggs, molasses and vanilla.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a hand-held mixer to cream the butter and sugar until the mixture becomes light and fluffy. Add in the ingredients of the medium mixing bowl and mix well.
- Combine the flour, salt, oatmeal, nutmeg and cinnamon and add to the cookie batter. Mix thoroughly.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the batter and mix until just combined.
- Drop generous tablespoons of the cookie dough onto a lined cookie sheet. Press the tops of the dough to flatten slightly.
- Bake in the middle rack at for 10-13 minutes. Cool on wire rack.