“The bacon adds a crunchy, sweet and salty taste that really made me think that I was eating a breakfast muffin.”
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Yield: 18 muffins
1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
1/2 pound bacon, cooked in brown sugar
3/4 cup oil
1/2 cup milk
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 small boxes instant butterscotch pudding mix
1 cup butterscotch chips
- Preheat your oven to 325° F (165° C).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the starter, eggs, oil, milk, sugar, and vanilla extract until everything is well combined.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pudding mix. Add the starter mixture to the flour mixture and gently stir until the batter just barely comes together. Gently stir in the butterscotch chips and the crumpled, cooled bacon. If desired, save one piece of crumpled bacon to add to the top of the batter once in the muffin tins.
- Grease the muffin tins and fill each one half way.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until they are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean. Let them sit in the tin for 3-5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack.
You can use muffin liners but baking straight in the tin gives the muffins a nice crust. Mini muffins can also be made with reducing baking time to 10-12 minutes.