Submitted by: Friendship Bread Kitchen
Image (c) Friendship Bread Kitchen
“True to Amish Friendship Bread nature, our biscotti recipe is easily dressed up with the addition of other nuts, dried fruit, and flavored extracts. It’s also wonderful dipped and iced!”
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 24 pieces
1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup almonds or walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350° F (175° C).
- In medium bowl, cream together starter, sugar and butter. Stir in vanilla extract and egg.
- In another bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. Stir into creamed mixture. Fold in nuts.
- Divide dough into 2 pieces. Roll each piece out into a log about 10 inches long. Place them on ungreased cookie sheet and flatten until they are about 3 inches wide.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until firm. Cool on baking sheet for 10-15 minutes.
- Slice logs crosswise into 1/2 inch wide slices. Place slices cut side down on baking sheet.
- Return to oven for additional 15 minutes, until crisp and light brown. Cool and store in airtight container.
Images L-R, top to bottom: (c) Friendship Bread Kitchen; (c) Friendship Bread Kitchen