Submitted by: Friendship Bread Kitchen
“A twist on your favorite carrot cake recipe, drenched in gooey caramel!”
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Yield: 2 loaves
At a Glance
- increase cinnamon to 1 tablespoon
- add 3 medium carrots, shredded
- add 1/2 chunky homestyle applesauce
- substitute butterscotch pudding for vanilla pudding
- add 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- add 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
Ingredients (click to print)
1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
1 cup oil
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup chunky homestyle applesauce
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
1-2 small boxes butterscotch instant pudding
3 medium carrots, shredded
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Preheat oven to 325° F (165° C).
- In a large mixing bowl, add ingredients as listed.
- Grease two large loaf pans.
- Dust the greased pans with cinnamon-sugar mixture of 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/2 cup sugar.
- Pour the batter evenly into loaf or cake pans.
- Bake for one hour or until the bread loosens evenly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Prepare caramel glaze. Poke top of warm cake every 1/2 inch with handle of wooden spoon, wiping handle occasionally to reduce sticking. Reserving 1/2 cup caramel glaze, drizzle remaining caramel topping evenly over top of cake; let stand about 15 minutes or until caramel topping has been absorbed into cake.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until chilled.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of the remaining 1/2 cup caramel glaze. Stir remaining glaze into cream cheese frosting and spread.
- Drizzle with reserved 2 tablespoons caramel topping. Store covered in refrigerator.
Warm the caramel glaze in the microwave to soften. An easy short-cut is to use store-bought whipped topping in lieu of cream cheese frosting. We love serving this cake warm with a tall glass of milk!