“Use this creamy caramel glaze with the Caramel Banana Amish Friendship Bread.”
2 cups granulated sugar
2 tablespoons corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Measure sugar into a large saucepan and measure corn syrup over the top.
- Set the stove top heat to medium-high.
- When the corn syrup starts to bubble around the edges, stir with a spoon or silicone spatula.
- Allow to sit again without stirring until it starts melting around the edges.
- Stir infrequently until the sugar really starts melting, the begin to stir constantly.
- When the sugar is completely dissolved and deep amber in color, remove from heat and stir in the salt, vanilla, and butter.
- The mixture will bubble up a lot.
- When completely combined, add the whipping cream and stir until combined; mixture will bubble up again.
- Keep stirring until smooth and uniform in color.
- Pour into a heat-safe dish and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator.
From Veronica: “Omit salt from recipe if using salted butter. The sauce will last for months in the refrigerator.”
L to R: (c) Veronica Miller | Veronica’s Cornucopia