“This is the perfect Christmas treat that brings together chocolate, candy canes and Amish Friendship Bread!”
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Yield: 2 loaves
1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
1 cup oil
1/2 cup milk
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 small box candy cane instant pudding
1 cup chocolate chips
1 candy cane, crushed
- Preheat oven to 325° F (165° C).
- In a large mixing bowl, add ingredients as listed.
- Grease two large loaf pans.
- Dust the greased pans with a mixture of 1/2 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cocoa powder.
- Pour the batter evenly into loaf or cake pans and sprinkle the remaining sugar-cocoa mixture on the top.
- Bake for one hour or until the bread loosens evenly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Sprinkle the top of the hot bread with the crushed candy cane.
The candy cane instant pudding used in this recipe is a seasonal pudding found at most local stores. If you can’t find the candy cane pudding substitute with vanilla pudding and 1 teaspoon of peppermint extract.
To make cupcakes, you pour batter into lined muffin cups and bake 12-15 minutes and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Once cooled and ready to serve, top cupcakes with whipped topping and sprinkle on crushed candy canes.
From Tamara Jessee: “Another variation is to leave out the cocoa powder, candy cane and chocolate chips and stir in 1 cup of chopped Hershey’s Kisses candy cane flavored.”
From Rebecca Givens Bickerstaff: “After the bread is out of the oven, sprinkle on crushed peppermints.”
From Emily Schaefer: “Another variation is to use 2 small boxes of candy cane instant pudding and 1 cup of chopped walnuts.”
From Stacey Hensley: “I used two boxes of the Candy Cane instant pudding mix in my batter. I also used Betty Crocker Peppermint icing and topped with crushed candy canes.”
L to R: ingredients (c) Friendship Bread Kitchen; loaf (c) Friendship Bread Kitchen; loaf (c) Friendship Bread Kitchen; cupcakes (c) Friendship Bread Kitchen; cupcakes (c) Friendship Bread Kitchen; crushed peppermints (c) Rebecca Givens Bickerstaff | On Dragon Wings with Buttercup Tea; (c) Stacey Hensley