Submitted by: Cynthia Skelton (Murfreesboro, TN)
Image (c) Cynthia Skelton (Murfreesboro, TN)
“This spicy pumpkin and dark chocolate bread is perfect for any Thanksgiving buffet.”
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Yield: 2 loaves
1 c. Amish Friendship Bread Starter
3/4 cup oil
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup pumpkin
1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 1/2 boxes instant butterscotch pudding
- Preheat oven to 325° F (165° C).
- In mixing bowl stir together oil, milk, eggs, vanilla and pumpkin. Mix well.
- In another bowl combine flour, sugars, baking powder, salt, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and butterscotch pudding.
- Combine dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix well.
- Grease or spray 2 large loaf pans with cooking spray.
- Dust the greased pans with half of the sugar-cinnamon mixture of 1/2 cup sugar and 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Pour the batter evenly into loaf or cake pans and sprinkle the remaining sugar-cinnamon mixture on the top.
- Bake for one hour or until the bread loosens evenly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
From Cynthia Skelton (Murfreesboro, TN): “Regular cocoa powder can be substituted for the dark cocoa. It will produce a lighter looking loaf.”