“The texture of this cake was a cross between a coffee cake and a devils food cake.”
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Yield: 2 cakes
1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
1 cup oil
1/2 cup milk
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups flour
1-2 small boxes instant chocolate pudding
1 cup pecans, chopped
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup cranberries
- Preheat oven to 325° F (165° C).
- In a large mixing bowl, add ingredients as listed except for pecans, chocolate chips, cranberries and Cinnamon Filling.
- Grease two 10-inch round scalloped-edge baking dishes or standard loaf pans.
- Dust the greased pans with a mixture of 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Pour the batter evenly into prepared pans.
- Add a ring of chocolate chips, cranberries, pecans and several dollops of Cinnamon filling to the center.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until the bread loosens evenly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
By leaving out the baking soda, the baking powder alone allowed the cake to be a bit more airy and rise more than it would with baking soda as well.