Submitted by: Veronica Miller
Image (c) Veronica Miller | Veronicas Cornucopia
“The combination of rum and chocolate is wonderful for the holidays, Make this into mini loaves for gifts!”
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Yield: 2 loaves
1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
1 cup oil
1/2 cup dark rum
1/4 cup Dutch process cocoa
1 small box instant chocolate pudding
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325° F (165° C).
- Combine 1/4 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Generously butter two loaf pans, then dust with the cinnamon sugar. Tap out excess and save for topping; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs into the starter, then whisk in the oil and rum. Add everything but the chocolate chips and whisk until blended.
- Stir in 1 cup chocolate chips.
- Divide batter between pans, then sprinkle remaining cinnamon sugar over the tops.
- Sprinkle mini chocolate chips over the top and bake for an hour or until the bread loosens evenly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes, then turn out to cool completely on wire rack.
L to R: (c) Veronica Miller; (c) Veronica Miller