Submitted by: Rebecca Givens Bickerstaff
Image (c) Rebecca Givens Bickerstaff | On Dragonfly Wings with Buttercup Tea
“Make and wrap up this festive, egg nog Amish Friendship Bread variation as gifts for family and friends.”
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Yield: 2 loaves
1 cup oil
1/2 cup egg nog
2 teaspoons rum extract
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 small boxes cheesecake instant pudding
1 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 325° F (165° C).
- In a large bowl, combine starter, oil, egg nog, eggs and rum extract.
- In another large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pudding.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix well.
- Grease two large loaf pans.
- Dust the greased pans with a mixture of 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Pour the batter evenly into loaf pans and sprinkle the remaining sugar-cinnamon mixture on the top.
- Bake for one hour or until the bread loosens evenly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
From Rebecca Givens Bickerstaff: “This recipe uses all-purpose flour. To use self-rising flour omit, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Sweeten up this recipe by adding in 1 cup of white chocolate chip that have been tossed with a small amount of flour before adding to batter. If you use a glass loaf pan or dark loaf pan, decrease the oven temperature by 25° F.”