Submitted by: Debbi Smith | Debbie Does Dinner Healthy
Photo (c) Wilma Kirk Lee (Houston, TX)
“For German Chocolate Cake lovers!”
Recipe at a Glance
- omit cinnamon
- substitute chocolate instant pudding for vanilla
- reduce oil to 1/2 cup
- add 1/2 cup applesauce
- add 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- top with coconut pecan frosting
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Yield: 2 – 8 x 8 cakes
1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup applesauce
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups flour
2 small boxes chocolate instant pudding
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Coconut Pecan Frosting
- Preheat oven to 325° F (165° C).
- In a large mixing bowl, add ingredients as listed.
- Grease and sugar two 8 x 8 cake pans.
- Pour the batter evenly into cake pans.
- Bake for one hour or until the bread loosens evenly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Spread coconut pecan frosting on cake while warm.
From Wilma Kirk Lee: “We are a family of confirmed Chocoholics. I think the next time, I may add more applesauce or some milk to make it a little more moist. It sliced very easily and it held its shape.”