“Fresh out of the oven, this bread is great sliced and served with butter.”
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 50-60 minutes
Yield: 1 loaf
1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
4 cups of flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup of butter, room temperature
- Preheat oven 425° F (218° C).
- Whisk together all dry ingredients.
- Add in wet ingredients.
- Mix quickly.
- Turn out onto a floured surface, cover with 1/4 cup of flour and kneed for 30 seconds.
- Shape into a round or oval loaf.
- Flour a round or oval pan.
- Use a sharp knife and score/carve a large X on top of the loaf.
- Bake 50-60 minutes. The top will be dark golden to dark brown.
If you have any left the next day, it makes great toast. This dough resembles biscuit dough–to make drop biscuits, drop a heaping tablespoon onto a baking sheet.
Image (c) Susan Buetow | Scraps of Life