“Lemon and coconut pair together for this easy Amish Friendship Bread variation!”
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Yield: 2 loaves
1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
1 cup oil
1/2 cup milk
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups flour
2 small boxes of lemon pudding
1 1/2 cup coconut plus 1/2 cup for topping
- Preheat oven to 325° F (165° C).
- In a large mixing bowl, add ingredients as listed except for 1/2 cup coconut.
- Grease two large loaf pans.
- Dust the greased pans with a mixture of 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Pour the batter evenly into loaf or cake pans and sprinkle remaining coconut on the top.
- Bake for one hour or until the bread loosens evenly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
From Candy Mason: “To get more lemon flavor, add 1 tablespoon of lemon zest or 1 1/2 teaspoons of lemon extract. For the coconut, 2 cups worked great stirred in and 1 cup to top the loaves before baking. This bread turned out delicious!”