Submitted by: Kathy Humphres
Image (c) Kathy Humphres
“I like the yellow color the lemon Jell-O added to the bread, too.”
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 2 loaves
At a Glance
- omit cinnamon
- replace vanilla instant pudding with lemon instant pudding and one box lemon Jell-O
- replace vanilla with lemon extract
1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
1 cup oil
1/2 cup milk
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons lemon extract
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
1 small box lemon instant pudding
1 small box lemon Jell-O
1/4 cup poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 325° F (165° C).
- In a large mixing bowl, add ingredients as listed.
- Grease two large loaf pans.
- Dust the greased pans with a mixture of 1/2 cup sugar.
- Pour the batter evenly into loaf or cake pans and sprinkle the remaining sugar on the top.
- Bake for one hour or until the bread loosens evenly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
From Kathy Humphres: “Poppy seeds can quickly go rancid so are best store in your refrigerator or freezer. If you prefer to use fresh lemons to lemon extract, you can replace 2 teaspoon grated lemon peel for each teaspoon of lemon extract, or 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice for each teaspoon of lemon extract.”
L to R: Kitchen aid mixer and batter (c) Candice