Submitted by: Friendship Bread Kitchen
“Many spices marry well with chocolate: cinnamon and vanilla, even cayenne pepper.”
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Yield: 2 loaves
At a Glance
- omit nuts
- add 2 cups chocolate chips shaken with 1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
1 cup oil
1/2 cup milk
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
1-2 small boxes vanilla instant pudding
2 cups chocolate chips shaken with 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325° F (165° C).
- In a large mixing bowl, add ingredients as listed.
- Grease two large loaf pans.
- Dust the greased pans with sugar-cinnamon mixture (1/2 cup granulated sugar mixed with 1 teaspoon cinnamon).
- Pour the batter evenly into loaf or cake pans and sprinkle the remaining sugar-cinnamon mixture on the top.
- Bake for one hour or until the bread loosens evenly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
Serve this with a dollop of whipped cream just as you would a warm, spicy cup of Mexican hot chocolate!
From Kitchen of Pia: “I added 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper to give it a kick. It turned out wonderful. I also use just half the sugar in the ingredients. They all loved it!”