Submitted by: Denise Coard
Image (c) Denise Coard
“A classic recipe that you’ll serve with pride at your next dinner party!”
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Yield: 1 – 13 x 9 rectangular baking dish
Recipe at a Glance
- omit cinnamon
- substitute French vanilla instant pudding for vanilla pudding
- substitute brown sugar for granulated sugar
- add 1/4 cup butter
- reduce oil by 1/2 cup
- add 1 can (20 ounce) pineapple slices in juice, drained, juice reserved
- 1 jar (6 ounce) maraschino cherries without stems, drained
Ingredients (click to print)
1/4 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 can (20 ounce) pineapple slices in juice, drained, juice reserved
1 jar (6 ounce) maraschino cherries without stems, drained
1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
1-2 small boxes French vanilla instant pudding
- Preheat oven to 325° F (165° C).
- In baking pan, melt butter in oven. Remove from oven.
- Dust the buttered pan with a mixture of 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over buttered pan and arrange pineapple slices on top of brown sugar. Place cherry in center of each pineapple slice, and arrange remaining cherries around slices. Press gently into brown sugar.
- In a large mixing bowl, add remaining ingredients as listed, including reserved pineapple juice.
- Pour the batter evenly into rectangular baking dish and sprinkle the remaining sugar-cinnamon mixture on the top.
- Bake for one hour or until the bread loosens evenly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Immediately run knife around side of pan to loosen. Place heatproof serving plate upside down onto pan and quickly turn plate and pan over. Leave pan over cake for 5 minutes so the brown sugar topping can drizzle over cake; remove pan and allow to cool.
From Denise Coard: “BIG pineapple upside-down muffins made from Amish Friendship Bread Starter!”