- Preheat oven to 325° F (165° C).
- In a large mixing bowl, add ingredients as listed.
- Grease two large loaf pans.
- Dust the greased pans with granulated sugar.
- Pour the batter evenly into loaf or cake pans.
- Top with 1-2 tablespoons turbinado sugar.
- Bake for one hour or until the bread loosens evenly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
We took the original Amish Friendship Bread recipe and added a rhubarb twist by omitting the cinnamon, adding 1 cup of fresh rhubarb (diced), adding ¼ cup walnuts (chopped), and sprinkling 1-2 tablespoons of turbinado sugar (we like Bob’s Red Mill Coarse Turbinado Sugar). Yep, it’s as simple as that!
Fresh rhubarb can usually be found year-round in most grocery stores. If you don’t see it, just ask your local produce manager.