“This is a decadent dessert bread that’s moist and full of chocolate and coconut. Chocolate pudding, cocoa powder and chocolate chips combine to make this bread a chocolate sensation!”
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Yield: 2 loaves
1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
1 cup oil
1/2 cup milk
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1-2 small boxes instant chocolate pudding
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup shredded coconut, sweetened (plus extra to sprinkle)
- Preheat over to 325° F (165° C).
- Grease two large loaf pans and dust with sugar if desired.
- Add ingredients into mixing bowl and combine until moistened.
- Pour the batter evenly into the pans and sprinkle coconut on the top.
- Bake for one hour or until the bread loosens evenly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
Packaged or fresh shredded coconut should be refrigerated once opened. Not sure what to do with the extra coconut? It pairs well with apricots, bananas, chocolate, nuts, oranges, and pineapples!
Approximate nutritional information, per slice (based on 10 slices per loaf): 340 calories, 18 g fat, 4.5 g saturated fat, 35 mg cholesterol, 300 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 28 g sugar, 4 g protein
Nutritional analyses by Joannie Dobbs, Ph.D., C.N.S.