“A triple lemon treat with lemon pudding, lemon extract and lemon peel.”
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Yield: 2 loaves
At a Glance
- omit cinnamon
- substitute 1 teaspoon lemon extract for vanilla extract
- add 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
1 cup oil
1/2 cup milk
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
1-2 small boxes lemon instant pudding
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
Lemon Glaze or Simple Streusel Topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325° F (165° C).
- In a large mixing bowl, add ingredients as listed.
- Grease two large loaf pans.
- Dust the greased pans with granulated sugar.
- Pour the batter evenly into loaf or cake pans.
- If desired, lightly but evenly top with a lemon streusel mix.
- Bake for one hour or until the bread loosens evenly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
Top with a lemon glaze or our simple streusel, and bump up the lemon factor by including finely chopped lemon rind in either. You can dust your loaf pans with a sugar-lemon rind mixture.
Lightly sprinkle the streusel topping, especially towards the center of the loaf. A streusel fan, I was a bit heavy handed here and the center of the loaf was slower to rise.
From Stacie Gorkow: “This was delicious! I made 4 mini loaves rather than 2 large loaves. I took one to a friend who had just had surgery. Her daughter loved it and asked for the recipe. My kids also loved it!”
From Michelle Sears: “I made a double batch of AFB so I’d have enough to share. It made 4 small loaves, one large loaf and 6 muffins. The muffins did NOT turn out well. I put them in silicone muffin cups in a tart pan and they all spilled over. Oops. I also took them out too soon so they were gummy and not very good. At least the bread was a star!”
Image L-R (c): Stacie Gorkow | Sincerely Stacie; Friendship Bread Kitchen; Friendship Bread Kitchen; Kimberly Kozicki