Submitted by: Jill Emery
3 cups shortening
3 tablespoons vanilla bean extract
12 cups sifted powdered sugar
2/3 cup light cream
- Beat shortening and vanilla extract with mixer for 30 seconds.
- Slowly add half of the powdered sugar, beating well.
- Add half the milk and beat well.
- Gradually beat in remaining powdered sugar and enough remaining light cream to make preferred spreading consistency.
From Jill Emery:
- For the vanilla extract: Place 7-10 sliced vanilla beans in a quart sized mason jar and top with clear alcohol (vodka or moonshine works great). Keep covered. Takes 6-8 weeks before you can use for baking.
- For the lemon extract: Grate the rind off two lemons and place in a small jelly jar. Top with clear alcohol. Keep covered. Takes 6-8 weeks before you can use for baking.