Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Yield: 2 loaves
Recipe at a Glance
- add 6 tablespoons molasses
- add 1 teaspoon ginger
- add 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- add 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- add 1/2 cup diced crystallized ginger
1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
1 cup oil
1/2 cup milk
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
6 tablespoons molasses
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
1-2 small boxes instant gingerbread pudding
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 cup diced crystallized ginger, plus 2 tablespoons for topping
- Preheat oven to 325° F (165° C).
- In a large mixing bowl, add ingredients as listed.
- Grease two large loaf pans.
- Dust the greased pans with a mixture of 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Pour the batter evenly into loaf or cake pans. Top with 2 tablespoons diced crystallized ginger and sugar.
- Bake for one hour or until the bread loosens evenly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
If you can’t find gingerbread-flavored instant pudding (usually around the holidays), replace with vanilla pudding in equal portions. Use turbinado sugar (also known as raw sugar, which has larger crystals) with the chopped crystallized ginger to top the batter. Add a dollop of fresh whipping cream for a festive dessert.
From Linda Delescale: “Use dark brown sugar in place of the white sugar, except for the pan coating and add in 1/4 teaspoon of cardamom to give the bread a little extra zing.”