Submitted by: Jennifer Werth | http://www.thelavenderco.com
“Use this Amish Friendship Bread pie crust recipe to bake your favorite seasonal fruit pie!”
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 2 double crust pies, or 4 single crust pies
1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
2 cups shortening
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
4 cups flour
- Add shortening, flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together in a medium sized bowl and mix well.
- Beat the egg in a small bowl and add it to the Amish Friendship Bread Starter.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry mixture and mix together.
- Divide crust into 4 equal balls, and roll out into the shape your pie tin or pan requires, making sure that the crust is slightly bigger than your tin.
- Press into the bottom of your pie tin.
- Bake according to your favorite pie recipe.
After you separate the crust into balls, it can be wrapped and refrigerated for several weeks or even frozen. Rolling dough out several times will not affect it.
“A tip from my grandmother: When making a juicy berry pie, sprinkle the bottom crust lightly with sugar and flour mixed in equal parts. This keeps the bottom crust from becoming soggy before the pie can be completely eaten.” Jennifer Werth