Many spices marry well with chocolate: cinnamon and vanilla, but cayenne pepper is one of our favorites, especially in this Mexican Hot Chocolate Amish Friendship Bread!
Serve this with a dollop of whipped cream just as you would a warm, spicy cup of Mexican hot chocolate!
Kitchen Friend Pia decided to mellow the sweetness in this recipe: “It turned out wonderful. I used just half the sugar in the ingredients. They all loved it!”
Kitchen Friend Paula Altenbach experimented with baking this recipe at high altitude: “This recipe is a ”MUST MAKE AGAIN!” The cinnamon doesn’t hit you in the face or fade in the background. It stands side by side with the chocolate chips. I became excited the second the batter colored to cinnamon spice. Then the aroma in the kitchen seconded that thought! To compensate for my altitude at 6,035′, I added ⅓ extra flour and dropped each baking powder and baking soda back by ¼ teaspoon. I had a minor dip in the rise. With further consideration, I will not cut back on both leavening ingredients, only a bit less soda.”
A quick note: I only share links that I love and personally use. This post contains affiliate or commission links which support the Friendship Bread Kitchen if you click or buy. Thank you!
Many spices marry well with chocolate, but cayenne pepper is one of our favorites, especially in this Mexican Hot Chocolate Amish Friendship Bread!
- 1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup oil
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups flour
- 1 small box vanilla instant pudding
- 2 cups chocolate chips shaken with 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325° F (165° C).
- In a large mixing bowl, add ingredients as listed.
- Grease two large loaf pans.
Dust the greased pans with sugar-cinnamon mixture (½ cup granulated sugar mixed with 1 teaspoon cinnamon).
- Pour the batter evenly into loaf or cake pans and sprinkle the remaining sugar-cinnamon mixture on the top.
- Bake for one hour or until the bread loosens evenly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
>> Have you tried this? Share your best pic with us or leave a comment below and let us know how it worked for you!