“Rosemary gives a fresh green flavor while the lemon offers a refreshing citrus boost. A lovely addition to any dinner party fare.”
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Yield: 2 loaves
1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup milk
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
1 small box lemon instant pudding
1 tablespoon flax meal (optional)
Easy Lemon Drizzle
- Preheat oven to 325° F (165° C).
- In a large mixing bowl, add ingredients as listed.
- Grease two large loaf pans.
- Dust the greased pans with flour.
- Pour the batter evenly into loaf or cake pans.
- Bake for one hour or until the bread loosens evenly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean. Drizzle with Easy Lemon Drizzle and garnish with a sprig of rosemary or lemon rind.
This recipe yields a lovely and wonderfully moist cake. Add 1 tablespoon flax meal to boost the fiber and nutritional value of the bread. We used lemon pudding but if you’d like a less yellow cake, we’d recommend using 1 box vanilla pudding, eliminate the vanilla extract, and boost the lemon extract to 1 teaspoon.
One batch yielded one single-layer cake, four mini Bundt cakes, and one small loaf. For the mini cakes and loaves, reduce cooking time by 20 minutes and test for doneness. Kitchen Founder Darien tested this recipe in her convection oven and reduced the baking temperature to 325° F and tested for doneness 10-15 minutes earlier than usual.
L to R: (c) Friendship Bread Kitchen; (c) Friendship Bread Kitchen; (c) Friendship Bread Kitchen; (c) Friendship Bread Kitchen; (c) Friendship Bread Kitchen; (c) Friendship Bread Kitchen; (c) Friendship Bread Kitchen