To learn more about baking Amish Friendship Bread with whole wheat flour, check out this FAQ: Baking with Whole Wheat Flour. Slice some up and use them to make these waffled Monte Cristo sandwiches for a fun twist.
Whole Wheat Bread
- In a stand mixer bowl, stir together warm water, honey, and yeast. Let sit for about 10 minutes.
- Next, add starter, oil, eggs, salt, wheat gluten, and 4 cups of the flour and mix.
- Gradually add remaining flour until the dough pulls away from the side of the bowl.
- While dough is in the mixing bowl, knead for about 8 to 10 minutes. By the time the kneading is over, the sides of the bowl should be clean.
- Oil bottom and sides of a large bowl. Put dough into bowl and cover. (Let rise in the mixer bowl.)
- Let dough stand about three hours (or until doubled) at room temperature.
- Finally, punch dough down and divide into three equal balls.
- Grease three loaf pans.
- On a floured surface, knead each ball, shape into loaves and place into greased loaf pans.
- Cover and let stand about two hours or until risen.
- Preheat oven to 350° F (175° C).
- Bake 30-40 minutes (Cover with foil after lightly browned to prevent a dark crust.)
>> Have you tried this? Share your best pic with us or leave a comment below and let us know how it worked for you!