Submitted by: Heather
Image (c) Heather
“Serve this gooey cinnamon bread at your next Sunday Brunch.”
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 to 35 minutes
Yield: 1 Bundt pan
1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
2 cups self-rising flour
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup crushed nuts (optional)
2 cups of extra flour to knead
Gooey Cinnamon Mixture:
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup butter
2 tablespoon cinnamon
- In a large mixing bowl, combine starter, flour and milk.
- Set aside at room temp. overnight.
- The next day, preheat oven to 350° F (175° C).
- Stir the bowl mixture and mix in remaining dough ingredients.
- Pour dough out onto a well floured surface.
- Knead and add flour until dough is no longer sticky.
- Shape dough into a large ball and let rest while making gooey cinnamon mixture.
- Add all gooey cinnamon mixture ingredients into a sauce pan and cook until sugar has dissolved.
- Spray Bundt pan with cooking spray.
- Pour a small layer of gooey mixture in bottom of Bunt pan.
- Pull apart about 40 dough balls, rolling each sticky ball in a small amount of flour.
- Add the dough balls to the Bundt ban.
- Equally pour remaining gooey cinnamon mixture over the top of dough balls.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Take a plate and place upside down over Bundt pan. Flip right side up onto plate.
From Laila Gower: “For another variation of this bread use equal amounts of white flour and wheat flour. Instead of nuts, add raisins.”
L to R: raisin variation (c) Laila Gower; (c) Heather