Submitted by: Friendship Bread Kitchen
Image (c) Friendship Bread Kitchen
“The addition of flax meal gives this moist apple cinnamon bread a healthy boost.”
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40-45 minutes
Yield: 2- 8 inch cakes
1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup natural applesauce
1/4 cup milk
6 tablespoons water
1 cup brown sugar
3 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
2 tablespoons flax meal
1 1/2 cups dried apples
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325° F (165° C).
- In a large mixing bowl, add ingredients as listed except the last 3 (apples, sugar, cinnamon).
- In a small bowl, mix together the last 3 (apples, sugar, cinnamon).
- Fold in half the apple mixture in to the batter and give it a gentle stir.
- Grease the pans.
- Dust the greased pans with some of the cinnamon-sugar from the apple mixture.
- Pour the batter evenly into the cake pans.
- Arrange rest of the apples on top of the cake batter and sprinkle with the remaining sugar-cinnamon mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the bread loosens evenly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
This recipe had just the right amount of moisture. Flax meal is a good egg substitute. The box substitution is 1 egg for 1 tablespoon flax meal plus 3 tablespoons water. If using fresh apples, cut back on the water used with the flax meal substitution. This recipe made 2- 8 inch cake pans.
L to R: (c) Friendship Bread Kitchen; (c) Friendship Bread Kitchen; (c) Friendship Bread Kitchen; Friendship Bread novel (c) Friendship Bread Kitchen