Submitted by: Friendship Bread Kitchen
Image (c) Friendship Bread Kitchen
“For a wonderful Valentine’s treat, try baking this simple bread in a heart-shaped pan like we did. It’s a chocolate lover’s dream come true!”
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Yield: 2 loaves
Recipe at a Glance
- omit cinnamon
- substitute chocolate pudding for vanilla pudding
- add 1 cup chocolate chips
- add 1 cup dried cherries
1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
1 cup oil
1/2 cup milk
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
1-2 boxes instant chocolate pudding
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup dried cherries
1/2 teaspoon cocoa powder (to dust)
- Preheat oven to 325° F (165° C).
- In a large mixing bowl, add ingredients as listed.
- Grease two large loaf pans.
- Dust the greased pans with a mixture of 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cocoa powder.
- Pour the batter evenly into loaf or cake pans and sprinkle the remaining sugar-cocoa mixture on the top.
- Bake for one hour or until the bread loosens evenly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
Dust with powdered sugar for a fun and festive look!
From Tina Levesque: “Substitute 1 jar of maraschino cherries for the 1 cup of dried cherries.”
L to R: (c) Tina Levesque; (c) Tina Levesque