If you were looking for a healthy Amish Friendship Bread muffin recipe, this is it! We came up with this recipe on a chilly winter morning, and it hit the spot. These Blueberry Oat Bran Amish Friendship Bread muffins are great for breakfast and are bursting with fiber and flavor.
There are so many easy ways to vary this wonderful recipe. Try substituting mashed bananas in lieu of applesauce (you’ll need about 4 large bananas), use egg substitute, add nuts, try different fruit like raspberries or whole cranberries.
Kitchen Friend Rachel Love Verbois played with different substitutions in this recipe: “We make these with wheat germ instead of oat bran. They’re amazing! I use a straight 1:1 substitution of wheat germ for oat bran.”
A quick note: I only share links that I love and personally use. This post contains affiliate or commission links which support the Friendship Bread Kitchen if you click or buy. Thank you!
Blueberry Oat Bran Amish Friendship Bread Muffins
- 1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
- 1½ cups oat bran
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cups applesauce sweetened or unsweetened
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups fresh blueberries if frozen, bring to room temperature first and drain well
- ½ cup granola for topping
- Preheat oven to 325° F (165° C).
- In a large bowl, mix the oat bran, flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a medium-sized bowl, blend starter, applesauce, egg, oil, and vanilla extract.
- Fold wet ingredients into the flour mixture. Fold in the blueberries.
- Grease muffin pans. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
- Sprinkle tops of batter with granola, tapping with the back of a spoon to make sure the granola sticks to the batter.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the bread loosens evenly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean.
>> Have you tried this recipe? Share your best pic with us or leave a comment below and let us know how it worked for you!