“The marbling effect makes this Amish Friendship Bread the perfect edible gift!”
1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
1 cup oil (or 1/2 cup oil plus 1/2 cup applesauce)
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 large box of vanilla instant pudding
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
optional nuts, dates, dried cranberries, raisins, etc)
1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips, softened
- Preheat oven to 325° F (165° C).
- Combine the dry ingredients except chocolate chips in a large bowl and blend well.
- Add oil and sugar to the remaining batter in the bowl. Add eggs and extract, and mix well.
- Incorporate dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Grease two large loaf pans.
- Dust the greased pans with a mixture of 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Pour the batter evenly into loaf or cake pans, reserving some of the batter.
- Add softened chocolate chips (you can melt them in the microwave) to reserved batter and mix well. The batter should turn chocolaty.
- Dollop the chocolaty batter onto the batter. Swirl with a chopstick or plastic fork to create the marble effect.
- Bake for one hour or until the bread loosens evenly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.