Submitted by: Gwen Campbell (Jacksonville, NC)
“This fragrant, citrusy bread will give you a jumpstart on your day.”
>> Need an Amish Friendship Bread Primer with the ten day instructions? Go here!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Yield: 2 loaves
1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
1/2 cup milk
1 cup applesauce or oil
1 teaspoon orange extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 box orange Jell-O gelatin
1 box instant vanilla pudding
4 tablespoons International Coffee Orange Café
Orange Glaze (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325° F (165° C).
- Combine all wet ingredients.
- Combine all dry ingredients and add to wet.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Prepare two loaf pans with butter or nonstick spray and sugar.
- Divide batter evenly between pans, top with sugar.
- Bake for one hour or until the bread loosens evenly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
From Gwen Campbell: “When I make this again, I will be using orange juice in place of the milk and orange zest in the batter along with the orange extract. An orange glaze or vanilla glaze would be fabulous with this.”