A fun, hearty Amish Friendship Bread variation reminiscent of the apple spice breads. The whole-wheat flour and oats give this Apple Spice Amish Friendship Bread a nuttier, wholesome taste and texture.
A quick note: I only share links that I love and personally use. This post contains affiliate or commission links which support the Friendship Bread Kitchen if you click or buy. Thank you!
- 1 cup Amish Friendship Bread starter
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ⅓ cup oil
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large apple peeled, cored and diced
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ¾ cup walnuts coarsely chopped
- 1 cup currants
- Preheat oven to 325° F (165° C).
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- In another bowl, cream oil and brown sugar. Add eggs, milk, applesauce, apples and starter.
- Stir oats, walnuts and currants into dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients to dry and combine just enough to moisten all.
- Spoon into greased pans that have been dusted with a cinnamon-sugar mixture of ½ cup sugar and 1½ teaspoon cinnamon.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the bread loosens evenly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
>> Have you tried this? Share your best pic with us or leave a comment below and let us know how it worked for you!