We sliced and toasted this Sourdough Tomato Amish Friendship Bread, then slathered it with butter. This recipe was delicious! A perfect bread for sandwiches.
It works best to use a stand mixer and dough hook to mix the dough up to the kneading. For a soft crust, cool bread under a clean dish towel. For a harder, European type crust, let cool without a dish towel.
Sourdough Tomato Amish Friendship Bread
- In a large bowl, mix together the starter, tomato juice and sugar. Add optional ingredients.
- Add in 1 cup of flour at a time and stir well to develop the gluten.
- When the dough is stiff, turn out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Add the last 1 cup of flour as you go.
- Add to a greased bowl and lightly grease the top.
- Cover with a towel and place in a draft free area over night or for 12 hours.
- Punch down dough and divide into two.
- Form into rounds and place each on a baking sheet that has been sprinkled generously with cornmeal.
- Let rise for 1-2 hours, covered with a towel.
- Preheat oven to 350° F (177° C).
- Rub tops of loaves lightly with flour and slash with a sharp knife.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes or until the bottom is lightly browned.
>> Have you tried this? Share your best pic with us or leave a comment below and let us know how it worked for you!