Looking for a creative way to use up your starter? This recipe is submitted by Mary Pilcher of Some Blue Sky. “It’s like having chocolate-covered strawberries and shortcake for breakfast.”
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Yield: 12 pancakes
1½ cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
¾ cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon almond extract
¼ cup canola oil
½ cup milk
½ chocolate chips
1 pound strawberries, sliced
2-3 tablespoons sugar (to taste)
- Combine sugar and strawberries in bowl, stir well and set aside to allow sugar to draw out juices for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat griddle.
- In a mixing bowl, add starter and wet ingredients. Whisk together.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and whisk well.
- Spoon batter onto greased skillet or griddle.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Cook until bubbles appear on the surface, then flip.
- Cook until browned on the other side.
- Serve with with strawberries.