“Chocolate heaven, pure and simple!”
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Yield: 2 loaves
Recipe at a Glance
- substitute chocolate pudding instead of vanilla
- add 1/4 cup cocoa
- add 1 cup chocolate chips
- omit cinnamon
1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
1 cup oil
1/2 cup milk
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
1/4 cup cocoa
2 small boxes instant chocolate pudding
1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325° F (165° C).
- In a large mixing bowl, add ingredients as listed.
- Grease two large loaf pans.
- Dust the greased pans with a mixture of 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cocoa.
- Pour the batter evenly into loaf or cake pans and sprinkle the remaining sugar-cocoa mixture on the top.
- Bake for one hour or until the bread loosens evenly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
Experiment with different brands of cocoa should you choose to dust the sides and top with a sugar-cocoa mixture. We’ve noticed that some leave a sticky (albeit delicious!) chocolate-cocoa residue which can make a mess when eating with your fingers.
From Tamara Jessee: “Try the Death By Chocolate variation and use 2 boxes instant chocolate fudge pudding, 1/4 cup Hershey Chocolate syrup instead of the cocoa powder. Coat the chocolate chips in flour to prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the pan. This is a very rich bread like a dessert!”
From Ginny Lantz: “Try the Chocolate Fudge variation by replacing the 1 cup of oil for 1 cup of butter and increase the cocoa to 1/2 cup. A mixture of black cocoa and alkalized cocoa adds richness.”
From Lucia Cockfield: “I used half whole wheat flour and half white flour. I used soymilk instead of dairy milk, cut the oil down by half and added 1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce. For the sugar I used 1/2 cup regular sugar, and 1/2 cup of dark brown sugar, and only used I small box of pudding. I added the ganache topping from the Recipe Box.”
From Kathy: “Use a Bundt pan instead of 2 loaf pans.”
From Tammy Deatrich (Mercersburg, PA): “I omitted the chocolate chips and added 24 crushed miniature chocolate peanut butter cups. A nice peanut butter surprise in every slice!”