“Need to eat your Amish Friendship Bread on the run? These lemon poppyseed muffins will do the trick.”
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Servings: 24 servings
Yield: 24 muffins
At a Glance
- omit cinnamon
- replace vanilla instant pudding with lemon instant pudding
- replace vanilla with lemon extract or fresh lemon juice
- add 1/4 cup poppy seeds
1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
1 cup oil
1/2 cup milk
1 cup sugar
1-2 teaspoons lemon extract
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
1 small box lemon instant pudding
1/4 cup poppy seeds
Zest of one lemon (for topping)
- Preheat oven to 325° F (165° C).
- In a large mixing bowl, add ingredients as listed except grated lemon zest.
- Grease muffin tins.
- Dust the greased tins with sugar.
- Pour the batter evenly into muffin tins. Sprinkle the tops mixture of sugar and grated lemon zest.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the bread loosens evenly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
Poppy seeds can quickly go rancid so are best store in your refrigerator or freezer. If you prefer to use fresh lemons to lemon extract, you can replace 2 teaspoon grated lemon peel for each teaspoon of lemon extract, or 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice for each teaspoon of lemon extract. You can use loaf pans for this recipe. It will make 2 loaves of bread. Follow the same instructions and increase baking time to 50-60 minutes or until the bread loosens evenly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.