Submitted by: Karen
Image (c) Erika Yac
“This is my recipe for Herman or Amish Friendship Bread Coffee Cake.”
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30-40 minutes
Yield: 16 slices
1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup oil
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup of your choice: nuts, apples, raisins, chocolate chips, etc.
Coffee Cake Crumble Topping
- Preheat oven to 325° F (165° C).
- In a large mixing bowl, add ingredients as listed and mix on medium speed.
- Add 1 cup of your choice of nuts, apples, raisins, chocolate chips, etc.
- Pour the batter into cake pan.
- Sprinkle on Coffee Cake Crumble Topping on top of batter.
- Bake for one hour or until the bread loosens evenly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
If adding chocolate chips, eliminate cinnamon.
From Janet Lottes Young: “For a church coffee hour, I made the Coffee Cake Amish Friendship Bread, substituting coriander for the cinnamon in the batter, doubling the streusel topping amount and swirling it in, then adding a vanilla glaze after it was baked. The pastor’s wife said it was the best coffee cake she’s ever had! Thanks, FBK!”